Pointed Gourd or Parwal or Parval or Patol or Patola or Green Potato looks like tiny cucumbers, with tapering ends and it has light green lines along it’s length. It is a good source of vitamins and dietary fibers. I had not really eaten much of these earlier. But abundantly found in the vegetable market, I bought a few to give it one more go. Stuffed it with simple spices and a little bit of fennel seeds, and absolutely louuuuved the end result. So did the kid. Yay!
Washed the gourds and then I peeled them. If they are super tender and fresh, you need not peel but gently scrape the skin off.
Super quick and simple recipe:
- 250 gms pointed gourds/parwals
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
For the filling:
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder – vary the quantity according to taste
- 1 tsp dry mango powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp semi ground fennel seeds
Wash the parwals. If not very tender, then peel the skin away or you could gently scrape little bit off. Now make an incision using a sharp knife from one end of the pointed gourd to another, without slicing right across it. Gently press open to see the seeds.. if the seeds are big, gently remove them and using a small spoon.
Now, take all the ingredients for the stuffing. Mix it well. Fill this masala in each gourd and gently rub the leftover spices on the parwals.
In a wide pan, heat oil. throw in the cumin seeds. Gently place the pointed gourds, as separate from each other as possible.
Cover and cook till all the sides are well roasted.
Remove from heat and serve with chappathis or rice.
- Parwal is low in cholesterol and fats. Hence, it is easy to digest and recommended for patients with weak digestion and those recovering from chronic illness. It is an appetizer.
- Pointed gourd contains vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, and vitamin C. It also contains minerals like calcium, phosphorous, iron, copper and potassium.
- It is also helpful in treating jaundice and other liver problems, blood diseases and leprosy patients. It is also beneficial in treating fever, skin infections, constipation, and healing of wounds.