Beautiful fresh white button mushrooms, pickled green olives and piped penne in a smooth creamy white sauce with minimal seasoning is all that it takes to put smiles on grumpy faces.
Today, when I refused to bow down to Milee’s absurd gambits for some more TV time, she resigned to her room with a sullen face. With a few pretty neat tricks up my sleeve, I just knew how to win her back. All mother’s have secret weapons. Yea, ask anyone.
Mine was to dish up this simple concoction of Milee’s favorite veggies, pickled olives and pasta. I avoided the tomatoes and extra heat to spare us another brawl. Needless to say, she licked it clean.
This recipe is so quick, you’ll be surprised. I was serving the drama queen in a matter of 15 minutes. If you are not a mushroom fan, substitute it with another vegetable of your child’s choice.
To make one serving —
- 1/2 cup boiled penne, or any pasta of your choice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6-7 white button mushrooms, diced
- 8-9 pickled green olives, sliced
- 1/2 tsp whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- salt, pepper powder and red chili flakes to taste
- 1 tsp grated cheese
Since I was short on time, I followed these simple steps to quicken my pace.
- For the pasta, put water to boil. Add salt and little oil.
- Heat oil in a pan, meanwhile, quickly chop the onions and mushrooms.
- check on the water, if its boiling, then add the pasta. To avoid the pasta turning into mush, always add pasta to boiling water.
- Once hot add the onions and mushrooms.
- Saute till almost done.
- Add the flour, let it coat the veggies.
- Check on the pasta, when almost done, switch the flame off, cover with lid and keep aside.
- Now, add milk to your floured veggies.
- Mix well into a smooth creamy white sauce, adjust the milk accordingly.
- Add in the seasoning, salt, pepper and red chili flakes.
- Now, strain the pasta and add to the white sauce.
- Stir in grated cheese and sliced olives.
- Give it a final mix.
- Serve with love!